Sunday, April 27, 2008

Storms, Phone Menus & Yearbook Emergencies

Spring time.

We all know what that means. No, I’m not talking about final deadlines, last minute proofs or yearbook deadlines. No siree, I’m talking about those nasty spring storms that pop up, knock out your electricity and leave you in the dark.

One of those storms blew through the other day, knocking out power and leaving me to put on my makeup by candlelight. (And, no thankfully, I didn’t end up looking like Bozo the Clown). With the lack of electricity, I thought it would be a good time to try for that scrunchy hair look, but I’m sad to report it just looked like I forgot to dry my hair.

I called the electric company a gajillion times pressing 1 for this, 2 for that and wishing there was a 4 for “I’m going to smack someone upside the head if I don’t talk to a real person soon” prompt.

Well, all that button pushing and lack of human contact, got me to thinking how thankful I am that I get to talk to a real person when I call my yearbook plant or my yearbook rep.

Call me whacky, but I love to talk to real people.

I don’t know why other companies–you know, like my power company, insurance companies, customer service here, there everywhere–can’t figure that out. Can you imagine the options menu if yearbook companies were like my power company ?

I think it would go something like this…

Press 1 for Set Your Hair On Fire Emergencies

Press 2 for If I Eat A Pound of Chocolate, My Crisis Can Wait 24 Hours

Press 3 for HAL Has Taken Over My Computers and Nothing Seems to Work

Press 4 for Who Am I and Why Am I Here?

Press 5 for Missing Link?! Are you sure you’re talking about Image 00845 and not that kid who sits in the back row?

Thankfully those are not my options. When I have a yearbook crisis, I actually get a real person.

Still, there’s a part of me that secretly thinks it would be rather fun to add the “Press 1 for Set Your Hair On Fire Emergencies” to the options menu.

Just a thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your idea but sadly companies with those types of voice prompts I think secretly hope callers will become frustrated and just hang up. OR-- would you prefer a call center answering customer service questions from places so far away they have no concept of a Texas storm?

Edna Lee said...

Completely off topic, but I've tagged you for a meme. Follow the link below to give yourself even more work!

http://regurgitatedalphabits.blogspot.com/2008/04/thanks-lot-mister-teacher_28.html

~Edna

Anonymous said...

Every piece of technology I own has fallen apart this week. Right now I am packing up my camera to send it to New Jersey to be repaired. I have been in push button mode all day trying to get things repaired. I didn't realize how dependent I am on technology. Oh, my!