Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ratios, Russia & Peaches

(Just a brief note to any naysayers out there–I couldn’t make this stuff up even if I wanted to which, of course, I don’t.)

My daughter, who works at a day care while attending attending Texas Tech, called this past weekend to rhetorically asked if I knew “what moron decided it’s OK to put 18 4-year-olds in a room with one teacher.”

“Why the same moron who has never been locked in a room with 18 4-year-olds, bless their hearts,” I replied.

Then, my daughter, who also works a second job at a grocery store, said her co-workers were discussing the recent Russian crisis…

(Isn’t that great, I thought, young people discussing current events. I got goosebumps just thinking about it.)

Oh, but wait… one of her co-workers, well…

“She thought Russia had invaded Georgia,” my daughter said, “as in the state, not the country.”

Never one to let a teachable moment slip by, I said, “You see why it’s so important to get your college degree?”

“But Mom, I think she is in school,” my daughter said.

“Oh my,” I replied.

I guess that girl thought the Russians needed some peaches, bless her heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Georgia peaches.

No, you can't make this stuff up.

ms-teacher said...

my 12 year old was concerned when he heard about the Russian/Georgian conflict, but he's only 12! Now he knows that the Georgia in the news is not "our" Georgia.